The Quick Neurological Screening Test-3R (QNST-3R) is an individually administered, empirically based assessment of the development of motor coordination and sensory integration (both of which have been shown to relate to learning as well as to general daily functioning), seen as neurological soft signs (NSS). NSS are minor irregularities that include poor motor coordination, sensory perceptual changes, and difficulty sequencing complex motor tasks. The presence of NSS can indicate neural trauma and are often harbingers of learning difficulties (without history of trauma).
Author(s): Margaret Mutti, MA / Nancy A. Martin, PhD / Harold Sterling, MD / Norma Spalding, EdD
Purpose: Documents the presence of neurological soft signs which are thought to indicate delays or reduced cortical neural connectivity.
- Individual Administration
- Ages 4 through 80+
- Testing/Scoring Time: 20-30 minutes
The QNST-3R includes updated norms (based on a nationally representative sample), along with revisions and clarifications to the Record Form, administration procedures, and scoring guidelines.
The QNST-3R provides an easy and reliable way to quantify, over time, the presence and extent of behaviors that may be of clinical importance.
- motor maturity and development
- sensory processing
- gross and fine muscle control
- motor planning and sequencing
- sense of rate and rhythm
- spatial organization
- visual and auditory perception
- balance and vestibular function
- disorders of attention
The Manual's updated literature includes information about NSS seen in sports related concussion (child and adult), and neurodegenerative diseases (such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases). The expanded norms now cover ages 4 through geriatrics (80+).
QNST-3R tasks are commonly used in traditional neurologic exams and require no specific equipment, just a pencil.
- Task 1: Hand Skill
- Task 2: Figure Recognition and Production
- Task 3: Palm Form Recognition
- Task 4: Eye Tracking
- Task 5: Sound Patterns
- Task 6: Finger to Nose
- Task 7: Thumb and Finger Circle
- Task 8: Rapidly Reversing Repetitive Hand Movements
- Task 9: Arm and Leg Extension
- Task 10: Tandem Walk
- Task 11: Stand on One Leg
- Task 12: Skipping
- Task 13: Left-Right Discrimination
- Task 14: Behavioral Irregularities
NOTE: The QNST-3 Forms are NOT compatible with the QNST-3R
TEST Kit includes: Manual, 25 Record Forms, 25 Remedial Guidelines Forms (developmental activities) all neatly stored in a vinyl folder.