Purpose: Assesses the ability to relate visual stimuli accurately to motor responses and to organize the drawing task independently
Ages: 5 to 85 years
Administration Time: 5-10 minutes
Scores: Standard Score, (called the Visual Motor Index), Percentile Ranks, T-scores, z-scores, Age Equivalents
The new Koppitz-2 is an extensive revision and extension of the Bender Gestalt Test for Young Children by Koppitz. For the first time, the Koppitz Developmental Scoring System has been normed on a nationally stratified, census matched sample of children and adults from throughout the United States. Although the same stimulus cards are used for both tests, the difference between the Bender Gestalt II and this test is in the scoring method; the Koppitz-2 is entirely quantitative while the Bender Gestalt II relies more on a qualitative scoring system. The new KOPPITZ–2 is ideal for use by OTs and psychologists. It is a highly reliable, valid measure of visual-motor integration skills. The age range has been extended to allow the evaluation of special education students through age 21 and to assist in the evaluation of the visual-motor integration deficits of the growing population of seniors. For older children and adults, both 2 and 3 dimensional drawings are now required that reveal subtle deficits in visual-motor integration processes. The KOPPITZ–2 requires the examinee to draw increasingly complex figures from a model (the Bender designs) on a plain sheet of white paper and to organize the task independently.
The KOPPITZ–2 assesses the ability to relate visual stimuli accurately to motor responses and to organize the drawing task independently. It does so using a less structured task than other tests of visual-motor integration, thereby providing a more ecologically sound approach to assessment of visual-motor integration skills relative to highly structured drawing tasks.
Use the KOPPITZ–2 to:
- determine the presence and degree of visual-motor problems
- identify candidates for remedial programs and visual-motor training
- evaluate the effectiveness of intervention programs and monitoring recovery following acute injury
- monitor the progress of progressive degenerative disease processes that affect visual-motor integration skills
- gather research regarding the visual-motor integration process
A special chapter of the Manual is devoted to the Koppitz Emotional Indicators (EIs) and their proper use. A specialized scoring form is provided just for this purpose to make scoring of the Koppitz EIs easy and objective but also to maintain them as a separate record from the Developmental Scoring System.
- Time and cost efficient.
- Maintains a developmental view of visual-motor integration and provides separate scoring systems for young children (ages 5-7 years) and older children and adults (ages 8 to more than 85 years).
- Completely nonverbal and useful with individuals from widely varied cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- High reliability across age, gender, and ethnicity with reliability coefficients reported in the Manual for multiple subgroups, including individuals with various disorders.
- Designed for individual administration, the KOPPITZ–2 allows careful observation of the examinee to gain insights onto the qualitative nature of any visual-motor integration problems evident.
- Detailed scoring guides and a clear template are provided for the developmental scoring systems that result in high levels of interscorer reliability.
- Provides standard scores and percentile ranks along with specialized scores and age equivalents to meet the needs of all practitioners.
- Internal consistency (alpha) reliabilities for all but one age are above .80, the exception being the reliabilities of the 5-year-old children which is .77, a value that rounds to .80. The average of reliabilities across ages is .88. The test correlates highly with the WISC–III Performance Scale and Perceptual Organization Index.
Order the KOPPITZ–2 WITH or WITHOUT the Bender Cards!
COMPLETE KOPPITZ–2 KIT WITHOUT BENDER CARDS INCLUDES: Examiner's Manual, 25 Examiner Record Forms Ages 5-7, 25 Examiner Record Forms Ages 8-85+, 25 Emotional Indicator Record Forms, and a Scoring Template, all in a sturdy storage box.
COMPLETE KOPPITZ–2 KIT WITH BENDER CARDS INCLUDES: Examiner's Manual, Bender Gestalt II Stimulus Cards, 25 Examiner Record Forms Ages 5-7, 25 Examiner Record Forms Ages 8-85+, 25 Emotional Indicator Record Forms, and a Scoring Template, all in a sturdy storage box